Love, we can’t get enough of it. But when things in that department go south, we often turn to the old standby: the heartbreak
song.
Paradoxically, it is often not cheerful, uplifting music that gets us
through our darkest moments, but sad songs. In fact, there’s a heartbreak song
for just about every occasion—getting dumped, despair, unrequited love, regret,
anger, infidelity, and unrelenting heartache.
For this reflection, analyze three of the following classic heartbreak songs according to your birthday month. In your analysis, consider how these songs have become stand-in therapy for millions? Why do they speak to people? And finally, what are the stories these songs tell?
January
- Toni Braxton, "Un-Break My Heart"
- Bonnie Raitt, "I Can't Make You Love Me"
- Bill Withers, "Ain't No Sunshine"
- ABBA, "The Winner Takes it All"
February:
- Olivia Newton-John, "Hopelessly Devoted to You" [from Grease]
- Jennifer Hudson, "And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going" [from Dreamgirls]
- Jewel, "You Were Meant for Me"
- Candace Glover, "I Who Have Nothing" [Tom Jones cover]
March:
- Beyoncé, “Irreplaceable”
- Jim Croce, "Operator (That's Not the Way it Feels)"
- Patsy Cline, "She's Got You"
- Elvis Presley, "You Were Always on My Mind"
April:
- Roy Orbison, "Crying"
- Eric Carmen, "All By Myself"
- Alicia Keys, "If I Ain't Got You"
- Sam Smith, "I Know I'm Not the Only One"
May:
- Macy Gray, "I Try"
- Etta James, "I'd Rather Go Blind"
- Chris Isaak, "Wicked Game"
- Rod Stewart, "Maggie May"
June:
- Elton John, "Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word"
- Bee Gees, "How Do You Mend a Broken Heart"
- Lea Michele, 'What I Did For Love" [from A Chorus Line]
- Sinéad O'Connor, "Nothing Compares 2 U" [Prince cover]
July:
- Carole King, "Will You Love Me Tomorrow"
- Adele, "Hello"
- Des'ree, "Kissing You"
- Hank Williams, “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry”
August:
- The Beatles, "Yesterday"
- Dusty Springfield, "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me"
- Barbra Streisand, "The Way We Were"
- Mariah Carey, "I'll Be There" [Jackson Five cover]
September:
- Brenda Lee, "I'm Sorry"
- Samantha Banks, "On My Own" [from Les Miserables]
- George Michael, "Careless Whisper"
- Lady Gaga, "I'll Love Love Again"
October:
- Bonnie Tyler, "Total Eclipse of the Heart"
- Kate Bush, "You're the One"
- Liza Minnelli, "Maybe This Time"
- Madonna, "The Power of Good-Bye"
November:
- Gordon Lightfoot, "If You Could Read My Mind"
- The Cure, "Pictures of You"
- Lauryn Hill, "Ex-Factor"
- Michael Jackson, "She's Out of My Life"
December:
- Boyz II Men, "End of the Road"
- Whitney Houston, "Didn't We Almost Have It All"
- The Righteous Brothers, "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling"
- Queen, "Love of My Life"
Note: YouTube lyrics videos are notoriously inaccurate, so it is expected you will check these lyrics against other sources, including the original recordings themselves.
Mechanics:
Due: Thu 10.15 (submitted with Reflection 4 via Canvas)
- 1.5 pages in length
Due: Thu 10.15 (submitted with Reflection 4 via Canvas)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.